Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
- Develops end-to-end online services for KEXP auditors.
- Creates user interfaces, tools and prototypes of high fidelity web or mobile applications.
- Applies Agile and Scrum practices to implement user stories and experiences.
- Assists and participates in daily Scrum; contributes ideas, expertise, and troubleshooting information to software development team projects.
- Performs code reviews and provides recommendations for pull requests submitted by other members of the software development team, volunteer developers, and contractors, as needed.
- Collaborates with other members of the software development team and other KEXP departments to develop user stories related to product development.
- Ensures software development standards and industry best practices are followed.
- Maintains knowledge of current web development and programming technologies; researches and explores new technologies as they evolve.
- Provides excellent customer service to internal constituencies by responding to and supporting staff and volunteer users of KEXP web properties and services, including feature requests and technical issues; helps triage and plan response to issues reported by KEXP auditors and donors, as requested.
General Organizational Responsibilities:
- Maintains a thorough understanding of KEXP organizational policies including employee handbook, procedures, expense reports and payroll submission; follows policies and leads by example.
- Actively participates in our culture of philanthropy, which honors the important role that our donors, volunteers, business and community partners play in the life of KEXP. Collaborates across teams and departments to manage donors on behalf of KEXP and actively seeks opportunities to integrate philanthropy into their role within KEXP operations, programs and projects.
Supervision received: The position reports to the Digital Director.
Supervision exercised: Third-party developers, volunteers, and interns may receive functional supervision from this position.
Education experience: A minimum of two years of related professional experience managing and developing custom web services, websites and/or mobile applications and a bachelor’s degree in computer science and/or engineering or an equivalent combination of education and sufficient experience to successfully perform the essential duties of the job as listed above.
- Experience building Android applications with Java.
- Thorough understanding of standard web technologies such as HTML, CSS, XML, RESTful and AJAX technologies.
- Knowledge of CSS frameworks such as Bootstrap or Foundation.
- Professional experience with Git and GitHub.
- Demonstrated real-world experience building highly scalable and responsive web applications.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Scrum and Agile software development practices.
- May occasionally be required to work or respond outside normal business hours in the event of technical issues affecting KEXP auditors or donors.
- Exceptional attention to detail, documentation and commitment to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and use independent judgment within established policies and procedural guidelines.
- Strong personal motivation in carrying out responsibilities, organizing and prioritizing multiple tasks and meeting deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, relationship building and communication skills – both written and verbal – for a wide variety of audiences, especially racially, ethnically and socio-economically diverse communities.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team, as well as provide consistent, high quality service to a wide variety of internal and external constituents.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people from diverse backgrounds and to promote a positive work environment, a spirit of cooperation and positive reactions to change and conflict resolution.
- Thorough knowledge, appreciation and understanding of KEXP programming and mission.
- Ability to embody the community spirit of KEXP to internal and external constituents.
- Experience with Swift, Objective-C and iOS development is strongly desired.
- Experience in developing automated tests and/or in a continuous integration/continuous deployment environment.
- Understanding of issues with streaming music online, including scaling issues with streaming and digital content.
Physical requirements: Long periods of being in a stationary position; operate a computer and other office equipment; frequently travel to/from various work areas; communicate frequently by telephone and e-mail; frequently remain in a stationary position during meetings, discern the content of meetings, speak up and exchange accurate information; travel frequently to/from offsite meeting and/or event locations; occasionally moves supplies and/or equipment weighing up to 20 pounds.
Work conditions: Primary location in a typical business office environment, with frequent meetings and event attendance in a variety of offsite locations. This position is eligible for up to 100% remote work. Preference may be given to local candidates who are able to attend on-site meetings on occasion.
Compensation and Benefits: This full-time exempt position includes an annual salary of $95,000-100,000 depending on experience, as well as a generous benefits package including medical/dental/vision coverage (90-100% premiums paid by the employer), a pension plan with matching, vacation from three weeks per year plus vacation and sick leave, and much more.
KEXP is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive and empowering workplace. We believe that having staff, interns and volunteers from diverse backgrounds allows KEXP to better fulfill our mission and serve music-loving communities around the world. We recognize that opportunities in radio and other creative industries have historically excluded and continue to disproportionately exclude Black and Indigenous people, people of color, people of working class backgrounds, people with disabilities and people LGBTQ+. We strongly encourage people with these identities to apply.
KEXP is a Seattle-based non-commercial radio station and vibrant arts organization that delivers rich music experiences on the air, online and on the street. More than 200,000 listeners from around the world tune in to the station live and online every week, and KEXP produces and broadcasts more than 500 live performances each year.
KEXP’s programming team of 40 DJs, widely recognized as experts in their field, showcases emerging artists alongside established bands. Variety mixes and specialty shows spotlight new sounds as well as longtime favorites from the Pacific Northwest, across the country and around the world.
KEXP’s studios and offices are located on the Seattle Center campus in Seattle’s Uptown neighborhood.