Mini-Baccarat is also known as Punto Banco and many people call it “Baccarat” sometimes confusing it with the traditional game of Kings. Mini-Baccarat is similar in some ways and very different in other ways.
- Even though the table is shaped quite differently, it has the same 3 possible outcomes for betting.
- The amount of the buy-in or the money you must pay to the bank is zero
- Generally, you bet only on the individual hand rather than as a commitment to the game as a whole
- The shoe is never offered to the players and only the dealer is allowed to touch the cards at any time.
- The house gets a 4% cut from all winnings and takes the cut before paying the player
- Typically, these tables are placed in the same location as the Blackjack tables on the main floor.
- These games are open for the full length of casino times of operation
- Game minimums are as low as $2 with a $5 with a maximum up to $500 wager with a $5000 buy-in at the $500 table.
Like Baccarat, the numerical cards 2 – 9 are worth their face value in points. The Ace is worth 1 and the 10 and Face Cards are worth 0. Here is where there are major differences between Baccarat and Mini-Baccarat:
- Hands totaling 8 or 9 are the final totals for the hand and the higher number wins
- Players must draw another card on hands totaling 0 to 5
- Players must stand pat on hands totaling 6 or 7
- If the Player has an 8 or 9 and does not draw another card, the Banker follows suit and does not draw either
- If the Player draws a 4 or 5 and shows a total of 0 to 5, then the Banker draws another card
- The Banker is required to stand if the hand is 6 or 7
- If the Player draws an 8, the Banker draws another card only if the Bank total is 0 – 6 but stands if 7
- If Player draws an Ace, 9, 10 or Face card, Banker draws if Bank hand is 0 -3 and stands on 4 – 7
Once the rules of Mini-Baccarat are memorized the game is quite easy and quite fast moving since the gambler only has to follow the rules and there is really no decision to be made.
Because the player is not allowed to determine when and if a card will or will not be added to the hand of Player or Banker, the strategy is limited to the amount of money you wish to bet and when to bet or not to bet.
- Ignore any advice that recommends increasing the amount you bet each time you lose. That’s a sure way to lose everything and once in a while, win enough to break-even.
- Determine the exact amount of money that you want to LOSE before you sit down at the table. Take only that amount with you. Any chips on your side of the table are yours. Put your winnings in your pocket or purse and when YOUR original amount to lose is gone, leave the table. You’ll be surprised how much more often this is a winning strategy.
Is Online Mini-Baccarat or Video Baccarat a good way to learn how to play and gain confidence before going into a casino?
No. Online and Video gaming is calculated to mathematically while games at tables in casinos are “as they happen”. Even though odds can be calculated as to how often Banker or Player will win and how often Tie appears, in casino play it is simply an average of all games on all tables for a 24-hour period rather than on one individual table where you may be playing.