Our client is the largest software development training provider in Southern Africa and one of the largest in the world. One of the top edtech startups in EMEA with headquarters in Cape Town and London, they help learners from over 40 countries transition into fulfilling tech careers. They are dedicated to closing the global technology skills gap and we do this by integrating technology education with human mentorship and expert code review, reducing the cost of entering technology careers.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be responsible for leading our engineering team and initiating and executing all aspects of our bespoke software platforms, including but not limited to limit to:
- Our student portal
- Our mentor portals
- Our investment portal
- Our website and our payment gateways
- Our registration flows
- Our data analysis platforms
Our technology stack mainly consists of Python, Django, AWS (EC2, RDS, S3, Lambda, SQS, SNS, CloudWatch, Route53), Postgres and a bit of Ubuntu.
To excel in this role, you must be a creative problem solver, have advanced technical skills, high standards, and the ability to communicate effectively with multiple stakeholders.
Depending on the preferences of the candidate, this work may be entirely remote.
- Lead the engineering team in launching and executing all aspects of our software platforms
- Lead the technical implementation of projects while delegating and collaborating effectively with other members of the engineering team
- Coaching and supervising development teams
- Plan sprint cycles and timelines within any framework that works for you and the specific team you’re working with
- Communicate with technicians through clear and readable code and documentation, as well as communicate with non-technical people and translate their requirements into achievable milestones and smaller goals
- 5+ years of software development experience as a developer
- Experience with Python, Django, Postgres and AWS
- Experience leading a cross-functional team of engineers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Thrives in a rapidly changing environment and able to adapt to or ahead of external changes
- 1+ years managing or supervising a team of developers
- Previous tech start-up experience in a fast-paced, high-growth environment
Flexible and remote working: We are a remote friendly organization and offer flexible working options.
Generous annual leave, life insurance and medical benefits: We offer 19 days of annual leave as part of our vacation policy as well as two half days which can be taken at your discretion. We also provide health insurance/medical aid contribution and group life cover for our team.
Join the heart of technology in Africa, the US and Europe: you’ll work with the best of the best in developer training and education technology. Join one of the most ambitious and successful technology companies in the industry, with a founding team that draws experience from companies such as Google, Amazon, GetSmarter/2U and Yoco.
Life-Changing Work: Solve real problems that make careers in education and technology accessible to those who need them most—you have bragging rights.
Find out more/Apply to this position